Another sporting event has had to cancel due to the current coronavirus pandemic.
Announced just yesterday, the Omega European Masters tournament 2020 has had to be cancelled to ensure the safety of all participants and spectators whilst also keeping to lockdown rules.
On the official Omega European Masters Facebook page, organisers broke the news to fans.
“It’s now official. Following the Government’s regulations, the Omega European Masters 2020 is cancelled. Take care and see you in 2021.”
This is the first time the traditional and much loved golf tournament has been cancelled since World War II.
The tournament which has been running yearly since 1939 was due to begin August 27 this year and run over four days until August 30.
It is said that due to the healthy financial situation, the future of the tournament will not be under threat so the only concern at the moment is ensuring everyone’s health and safety and sticking to the Government’s lockdown regulations.
Organisers state that this is thanks to the support of the public authorities, Loterie Romande and Swiss Golf who have all continued to pay their annual fees despite the tournament not going ahead.
Last year saw the title won by Sebastian Soderberg after beating 5 men including Rory McIlroy in a play-off.
The official Omega European Masters website states that 2021 dates are yet to be confirmed with the committee stating “As the 2021 European Tour schedule is not yet confirmed, we will not fail to inform you of the 2021 tournament dates as soon as they are official.
“We are already looking forward to seeing you again in 2021 and promise you an edition full of emotion and entertainment!”
When we can expect golf clubs to reopen
In Switzerland golf won’t be absent too long.
With the easing of lockdown imminent in Switzerland, the Valais ski resort is due to reopen on May 11.
In anticipation of lockdown easing in the UK, safe playing protocol proposals have been submitted to the government in the hope to reopen golf clubs as soon as possible.
Included within these proposals are suggestions to remove access to bunker rakes, drinking fountains, ball washers, benches, bins and ball retrievers as well as stopping access to all golf carts and trolleys “unless safe sanitising practices can be guaranteed”.
England Golf chief executive Jeremy Tomlinson says: “The way everyone in golf has rallied together in these uncertain times fills me with great optimism for the future.
“Throughout these challenging times, England Golf has collaborated like never before with our colleagues in golf administration and presented a united front during many conversations with government.
“This collective approach has continued this week as we work with government to try and find the right conditions under which golf can return.”
The Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews, the oldest and most prestigious golf club in the world, has published multiple recommendations on their site advising how to play golf safely during this time.