As known from:
sky sportscricketworldTorquay United
Best Betting Sites UK / Scunthorpe vs Bishop Stortford - Long Day For The Blues - 28th September 2023
Contains commercial content

Scunthorpe vs Bishop Stortford - Long Day For The Blues - 28th September 2023

Publish Date:27/10/2023
Fact checked by: James Leeland

The last few years have been cataclysmic for Scunthorpe, suffering back-to-back relegations plagued with financial issues and power-hungry, gluttonous chairmen. However, things look to finally be stabilising, with the Iron looking to bounce back to the National League at the first time of asking. They host Bishop Stortford at Glandford Park on Saturday, hoping to close the gap on leaders Tamworth.

After David Hilton purchased the club in the summer and seriously strengthened the squad, promising a return to the Football League, things seemed too good to be true. This, unfortunately, appeared to be the case. Things turned sour, with Hilton issuing banning orders and sending threatening texts to those who dared speak out about his shambolic running of the club. In a final act of pettiness, Hilton decided to withdraw funding from the club, leaving them in dire straits.

Harness the saviour

Michelle Harness purchased the club in early October, and stability is slowly returning to Glandford Park. In the two home games since her acquisition of the club, Scunthorpe edged out Brackley 1-0 before demolishing Ji-place Spennymoor 6-0, demonstrating the strength that Jimmy Dean’s side possesses.

Before the season started, many claimed that this current crop of Scunthorpe players was one of the most talented to ever grace the National League North. This, coupled with the sheer size of the club, pointed towards the sixth tier being a walk in the park for The Iron, but it has been anything but. However, with things looking up for Scunthorpe, don’t be surprised to see them run riot at the top of the league.

Background on Bishop Stortford

On Saturday, they host a Bishop Stortford side that sits second bottom of the league after five defeats on the bounce. Despite being based in the London Metropolitan Area, on the border of Hertfordshire and Essex, Bishop Stortford ply their trade in the National League North. This had led to them struggling on their travels due to the excessive amount of travelling for the semi-professional outfit.

Steve Smith’s side enjoyed a stellar 2022–23 campaign, winning the Isthmian Premier League with 88 points. There was immense disappointment at having been placed in the National League North due to the financial implications that long journeys up north would have on a semi-professional side. This has been evident in their away results.

Not an ideal start to the season for Bishop Stortford

The Blues' opening away game saw them draw 1-1 with Gloucester, who are currently 22nd. Since then, it has been downhill for Bishop Stortford. Defeats to Brackley (1-0), Spennymoor (1-0), Chorley (2-1), and Hereford (1-0) showed they were keeping it tight, but the last few results will worry the Bishop Stortford faithful.

A 3-1 away FA Cup replay defeat to a Biggleswade side two divisions below was followed up by the aforementioned 1-0 defeat to Hereford, and then defeats to Southport (2-3), Blyth Spartans (3-0), Warrington (1-4), and Kings Lynn (3-2) have highlighted Smith’s side's defensive fragility. On top of this, they were also defeated 1-4 at home by 15th-place Rushall Olympic a few weeks before.

Things don’t seem right behind the scenes at Bishop Stortford, with Billy Cracknell, Ayo Shogbeni, Kyran Clements, and Rob Howard all departing, despite Howard and Shogbeni excelling so far and Clements just joining.

Long Day for the Blues

All of these factors, coupled with the long journey (6-hour round trip—300+ miles), mean Bishop Stortford could be in for a long day—in more ways than one.

Scunthorpe have shown they are capable of some big results. They’ve beaten Spennymoor 6-0, South Shields 3-1, Scarborough 4-1, Rushall 0-3, and Darlington 4-0. Do not be surprised to see Scunthorpe run riot again on Saturday.

Best Bets

With everything mentioned, I will be taking a ‘ladder’ bet on this game. This means I will be placing 50% of my stake on the lowest odds bet, then 25% on the next and 25% on the last. As I was writing this article, Bet365 pulled the market. However, SkyBet still has the market, so you can take the bet with them.

Selections

Scunthorpe 3+ goals: 2.75

Scunthorpe: 4+ goals – 5.5

Scunthorpe 5+ goals: 13.0

BetMGM UK
1.
Favicon
4.7/5
Bet £10 Get £40 in Free Bets
Go to BetMGM UK
Get Bonus
New cust only. 7 days to opt in by placing a £10 qualifying bet at 1/1 (2.0) odds or greater to receive 4x Free Bets: 1 x £10 horse racing, 1 x £10 Bet Builder, 1 x £10 Acca and 1 x £10 football. 7 day expiry. Exclusions apply. Stake not returned. T&Cs apply. 18+ BeGambleAware.org.
The Pools
2.
Favicon
4.7/5
Get £10 to use on Accas when you place 2x £10 Accas Monday to Sunday
Requirements (WR): , Min. Deposit: £10
Go to The Pools
Get Bonus
18+, UK only. New mobile customers only. Qualifying stake 4/5 or bigger, 2 x £10 free bets credited next day, 7 day expiry. Full T&Cs apply.
LiveScore Bet
3.
Favicon
4.6/5
Bet £10, Get £20 in Free Bets
Min. Deposit: £10
Go to LiveScore Bet
Get Bonus
T&Cs apply, 18+
LeoVegas
4.
Favicon
4.5/5
100% Profit Boost up to £100
Min. Deposit: £10
Go to LeoVegas
Get Bonus
T&Cs apply. New reg only. Claim by placing a min deposit £10 via "My Offers" page within 30 days. Skrill/Neteller deposits excl. 7 days to stake max £10 in-play. Max. extra winnings £100. 18+ BeGambleAware.org.
bzeebet
5.
Favicon
4.5/5
Bet £10 and Get a £10 Free Bet
Min. Deposit: 10
Go to bzeebet
Get Bonus
T&Cs apply, 18+
Read Also
The Story of Cheshunt Fc - From Step 4 to Step 2 And Back Again
Hertfordshire-based strugglers Cheshunt Football Club currently find themselves entangled in what is ...
FA Trophy Last 16 Preview - Saturday 10th February 2024
The FA Trophy is entering its critical stages as 16 teams are ...
DAZN BET Promo
What a difference a Dave makes... - In depth with Chester fan & Liverpool Echo writer Dave Powell
Writing about a football club for a living is just about the ...
The Bosses’ Lounge (Vol. 24) – Steve Claridge (Salisbury FC)
Be it playing, managing or broadcasting, half measures are something Steve Claridge ...
The Bosses’ Lounge (Vol. 17) – Phil Parkinson (Altrincham)
Altrincham’s 85-goal haul to finish top scorers in last season’s National League ...
Bookmaker of the Month
BetMGM UK - Get Your Bonus Now! Get Your Bonus Now!
Claim your £30 BetUK Bonus!
Betting Tips
13/04/2024 - 5:30 pm
Vitality Stadium
Tip:
Over
1.88
Bet365
14/04/2024 - 4:30 pm
Emirates
Tip:
Draw
9/2
Ladbrokes
13/04/2024 - 12:30 am
St James Park
Tip:
Home Win
17/10
Ladbrokes
Top Betting Sites
Top Betting Bonuses
BetMGM UK
BetMGM UK
BetMGM UK Review
4.7/5
The Pools
The Pools
The Pools Review
4.7/5
LiveScore Bet
LiveScore Bet
LiveScore Bet Review
4.6/5
LeoVegas
LeoVegas
LeoVegas Review
4.5/5
bzeebet
bzeebet
bzeebet Review
4.5/5
BetMGM UK
BetMGM UK Bonus
Bet £10 Get £40 in Free Bets
T&Cs apply
4.7/5
New cust only. 7 days to opt in by placing a £10 qualifying bet at 1/1 (2.0) odds or greater to receive 4x Free Bets: 1 x £10 horse racing, 1 x £10 Bet Builder, 1 x £10 Acca and 1 x £10 football. 7 day expiry. Exclusions apply. Stake not returned. T&Cs apply. 18+ BeGambleAware.org.
The Pools
The Pools Bonus
Get £10 to use on Accas when you place 2x £10 Accas Monday to Sunday
T&Cs apply
4.7/5
18+, UK only. New mobile customers only. Qualifying stake 4/5 or bigger, 2 x £10 free bets credited next day, 7 day expiry. Full T&Cs apply.
LiveScore Bet
LiveScore Bet Bonus
Bet £10, Get £20 in Free Bets
T&Cs apply
4.6/5
LeoVegas
LeoVegas Bonus
100% Profit Boost up to £100
Full T&Cs apply, 18+
4.5/5
T&Cs apply. New reg only. Claim by placing a min deposit £10 via "My Offers" page within 30 days. Skrill/Neteller deposits excl. 7 days to stake max £10 in-play. Max. extra winnings £100. 18+ BeGambleAware.org.
bzeebet
bzeebet Bonus
Bet £10 and Get a £10 Free Bet
T&Cs apply
4.5/5
Who tops our list?
best online casinos
Our Team
James LeelandAmos MurphyGinger JoeMike McKeanJordan Noble
+7
James Leeland
James Leeland
Editor
Amos Murphy
Amos Murphy
Sports Writer
Ginger Joe
Ginger Joe
Expert Punter
Mike McKean
Mike McKean
Editor
Jordan Noble
Jordan Noble
Sports Writer
Alyx Tzamantanis
Alyx Tzamantanis
Editor
Matthew O'Regan
Matthew O'Regan
Non League Tipster
Jamie Clark
Jamie Clark
Contributor
Dave Kuzio
Dave Kuzio
Content Manager
Geoff Banks
Geoff Banks
Columnist
The Fund
The Fund
The Fund
Zack Wilson
Zack Wilson
Contributor
Get the Best Deals via Mail
By providing my e-mail address, I declare that I agree that Betting.co.uk will regularly send me information by e-mail: I can revoke my consent at any time.

Users must be 18+. If you are having trouble with gambling then help and advice can be found at begambleaware.org. Please Play Responsibly.

Trading financial products carries a high risk to your capital, especially trading leverage products such as CFDs. CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. Between 74-89% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.

This site is using Cloudflare and adheres to the Google Safe Browsing Program. We adapted Google's Privacy Guidelines to keep your data safe at all times.

Close
Bwin Offer
×
Your Bonus Code:
The bonus offer of was already opened in an additional window. If not, you can open it also by clicking the following link:
Visit Site