A late Reuben Reid strike helped earn Yeovil Town a 2-2 draw during an entertaining affair at the Hive Stadium against Barnet in Saturday afternoon's National League tie.

By Aaron Jaffe

Yeovil dig deep to sneak point away to Barnet

For a side that were once Championship contenders, now having their manager poached by a side of the same ability, Yeovil Town had a rollercoaster of a week. But they showed nothing of it to their loyal 288 away fans, as they battled hard to earn a point against a heavily rotated Barnet side.

The Glovers started on the front foot with Matt Worthington's low drilled strike testing the now second-choice keeper Jake Askew. Dean Brennan talked in his match preview about the side's terrible resilience to injuries, and there's no doubt it added to his frustrations when Sam Woods was taken off within 3 minutes for Ryan De Havilland.

Yeovil capitalised on De Havilland's lack of sharpness, after Rob Hall and De Havilland's poorly practised free-kick was intercepted by Tom Knowles. Knowles then ran the length of the pitch beating Sam Beard, slotting past Askew early to give Charlie Lee's side something to cheer about.

It could've been two minutes later when Tom Knowles won a free kick in an exciting area. Dale Gorman's tempting cross met captain Luke Wilkinson who steered it wide.

But Barnet's new formidable front three looked dangerous on the counter, with Ephron Mason-Clark as stand-in captain combining well but blocked by a defender to deny an equaliser.

Referee Tom Bishop was quick to reward Yeovil with a free kick and a yellow card when Sam Beard had got across Reuben Reid. But it was only a minute later when the Bees struck on the counter. Rob Hall's splitting pass found the feet of Mason-Clark who smashed it past Ted Cann convincingly.

Barnet could've scored at least three or four if it wasn't for some great work from Yeovil's defensive unit. The in-form Reece Grego-Cox combined with Adam Marriott but the end product lacked any real conviction.

A few yellow cards were handed out in quick succession after rapid counter-attacks were prevented, with Ben Richards-Everton's header slightly tame into Cann's arms being the only real opportunity at the end of the half.

Knowles and Worthington created a great shout for a penalty, but Bishop was quick to wave any appeals away. It took until 70 minutes when Ross Marshall slalomed through the Glovers' midfield playing Marriott in to do the inevitable. A chorus of 'This Girl' rang around the stadium for not the first time this stadium, to the tune of "Adam Marriott du, du, du, du".

There was some frustration, to say the least by the travelling fans when a melee in the box after multiple corners went astray. It appeared that Luke Wilkinson was potentially fouled in the area. The fans were keen to air out their frustrations letting Bishop know what they had thought of his display so far.

Brennan attempted to kill out the game, bringing Rob Hall off for Teddy Howe. Yeovil substitute Sonny Blu-Lo Everton came close to getting the equaliser, but it was Reuben Reid in the 82nd minute, volleying into the net after Askew's parry deflected through a swarm of black and amber shirts.

Askew and co. immediately rushed out to confront Bishop after Sam Beard had busted his lip and appeared to have a head injury moments before in the buildup. Unfortunately, like many decisions throughout the match, Bishop was adamant there was no need to halt play, preventing Yeovil from getting the equaliser. Nevertheless, the Glovers failed to convert any of the chances they had and weren't clinical enough to deserve all three points.

Dean Brennan said at full time that he thought that 'the game had a justified result' and simply the 'resilience to injuries was something that needed sorting out in the summer but appreciated his player's efforts to try and fight for all three points to propel them up the table

Follow us on Twitter