Best Betting Sites UK / News Now / FA Trophy | Needham Market and Tonbridge Angels cause third round shocks

FA Trophy | Needham Market and Tonbridge Angels cause third round shocks

fa trophy review 18-12

Photo credit to Ben Pooley.

Needham Market and Tonbridge Angels caused the main shocks of the FA Trophy third round by eliminating National League opposition.

By Steven Oldham 

Needham Market 2-1 Wealdstone 

The Southern League Premier Central side caused the upset of the day by knocking out Step 1 side Wealdstone. 

It’s the first time that Kevin Horlock’s side have reached the fourth round. 

The Marketmen were well in control by half time thanks to goals from Callum Sturgess and Luke Ingram. 

Wealdstone did come back into the game via Matt Buse’s 65th minute goal, but didn’t get the equaliser needed. 

Tonbridge Angels 2-1 Torquay United 

Ibrahim Olutade’s late winner saw National League South side Tonbridge Angels knockout Gary Johnson’s Torquay United.

Joe Turner had put the home side ahead within ten minutes, before Danny Wright equalised to send the teams in level at half time. 

Steve McKimm’s side took the victory with four minutes left on the clock to knock out the 2008 runners up. 

Tonbridge are without a win in eight league games but have moved into the last 32 at the expense of Torquay.

Stourbridge 3-2 AFC Telford United 

Reece Styche’s last-minute goal capped a memorable late comeback for Step 3 side Stourbridge.

Theo Street had put the National League North outfit ahead before Montel Gibson equalised for the home side. 

Brendan Daniels again gave Telford the lead midway through the second half, but Gibson scored his second of the game with an 89th minute equaliser.  Styche’s late winner saved the need for penalties and earned The Glassboys the £4,500 prize money.

Plymouth Parkway 1-1 Dulwich Hamlet (4-3 on penalties)

Plymouth Parkway’s dream debut in the competition continued as they knocked out Step 2 side Dulwich Hamlet at Bothilo Park. 

River Allen’s penalty on the quarter hour gave the home side the lead for the majority of the game.

Parkway were unlucky not to win outright, with Hamlet equalising at the death through Alpha Diallo to force a shootout.

It was the home side who prevailed with the hopes of getting a Step 1 side in the next round. 

Five star wins for Wrexham and Eastleigh 

There was no upset on the cards for Wrexham and Eastleigh, who took comfortable wins over lower ranked opposition.

The Red Dragons were 5-0 victors over Gloucester City, with Jordan Davies taking a first half brace.  Max Cleworth scored his first goal for the club, with Kwame Thomas and James Jones also on the scoresheet. 

Eastleigh dismissed the challenge of Enfield Town by the same score, with Jake Hesketh netting a hat-trick. Josh Hare and Andrew Boyce wrapped up the win. 



Hatters thrash Grimsby in pick of all Step 1 games 

Stockport County thrashed Grimsby Town 4-0 at Edgeley Park in arguably the round’s biggest tie. 

Will Collar opened and closed the scoring, as the Hatters scored twice in both halves.  Ryan Croasdale and Ash Palmer also got themselves on the scoresheet.

Yeovil Town left it late, but came back from a goal down to beat Woking 3-1.  With nine minutes left, The Glovers were still losing.  Adi Yussuf equalised and scored again in injury time, with Tom Knowles also bagging a goal in normal time.  Tahvon Campbell had put the visitors ahead midway through the first half.  

Boreham Wood won a back and forth game 3-2 at The Hive to knock out Barnet.  Tyrone Marsh’s hat-trick put Luke Garrard’s side in the hat for Monday’s fourth round draw. 

Notts County beat Altrincham 2-1 in a late kickoff, with Kyle Wootton scoring the winner.  All three goals came before half time. 

Finlay Lovatt scored on his professional debut as a youthful Bromley side beat Dover Athletic 1-0. 

Narrow wins for National League sides 

Southend United survived a scare in their first ever game in this competition and beat Dorking Wanderers 2-1 at Roots Hall. 

Alfie Rutherford had put the visitors ahead within five minutes, before Sam Dalby equalised before the break.  Matthew Dennis hit the winner with 15 minutes to play. 

Solihull Moors took a 1-0 victory over National League North promotion contenders AFC Fylde with James Clarke taking the winner. 

Josh Barrett’s brace secured passage for King’s Lynn Town, who avoided a potential banana skin by beating Nantwich Town 2-1. 

Aldershot Town were another side who came from behind to progress past Kingstonian. To compound Kingstonian’s misery, it was a Simon Cooper own goal that won the game for The Shots. 

Weymouth captain Josh McQuoid struck late on against Hungerford Town as The Terras took a 1-0 win. 

Best of the rest 

Boston United picked up a strong 4-1 win over divisional rivals Kidderminster Harriers

Southport continued their good form with a 3-0 win over Farsley Celtic.

Morpeth Town progressed via a penalty shootout after an entertaining 3-3 draw with Lancaster City.

Alfreton Town came from behind to knock out Curzon Ashton 3-1 at The Tameside Stadium. 

Three games didn’t go ahead as planned, with Chesterfield and Maidenhead United withdrawing because of Covid outbreaks at the clubs.  Their respective opponents, Guiseley and Maidstone United receive walkover wins as a result. 

The game between Bradford Park Avenue and FC Halifax Town was called off late on due to heavy fog, with the tie rearranged for Tuesday night.

Top Betting Sites
Top Betting Bonuses
Provider of the Month
Move to Top
Our Bettors deserve the best. Check out the best offers around, recommended by our team
Your Bonus Code:
The bonus offer was already opened in an additional window. If not, you can open it also by clicking the following link:
Visit Site