needham market darftford

Photo by Ben Pooley

Needham Market stunned National League South promotion contenders Dartford to move into the last eight of the FA Trophy. 

By Steven Oldham

Needham Market tranquillise Darts 

The Southern League Premier Central side produced the shock of the day in a 1-0 win at Bloomfields. 

Luke Ingram was the goal scoring hero for the home side, who are now the sole Step 3 side left in the competition. 

It continues the side’s memorable run, who have never progressed this far in the Trophy. 

Dartford must now turn their attention to their efforts to move up from the National League South, where they currently sit in the playoffs. 

Big wins for Wrexham and Notts County 

Wrexham and Notts County progressed in the battle of the National League big guns. 

Wrexham were 3-0 winners over Boreham Wood, with Ollie Palmer, Jordan Davies and Aaron Hayden all on the scoresheet.

The Dragons remain on track to win the Trophy for a second time after winning it in 2013.

The Magpies were 2-1 winners at Halifax Town, with Kairo Mitchell grabbing a late winner at The Shay.

Ruben Rodrigues had put Notts ahead early doors, before Billy Waters had equalised on the hour mark. 





County edge into last eight 

National League leaders Stockport County survived goalkeeper Ethan Ross’ red card to pick up a 1-0 win over Cheshunt.

Ross received a straight red for handling outside the box with seven minutes to play. This forced Dave Challinor to sacrifice Olly Crankshaw to bring on Ben Hinchliffe for an unexpected cameo. 

Myles Hippolyte opened his account with the game’s winning goal as a much-changed Hatters side huffed and puffed past their Step 3 opponents. 

One bright spot for County was 16-year-old debutant Cody Johnson putting in a man-of-the match performance in the middle of the park. 

Cheshunt battled gamely and could have been ahead twice in the first half had it not been for some excellent reactions from Ross. 

All the other FA Trophy action 

York City produced an almighty comeback to break Morpeth Town’s hearts in a five-goal thriller.

The visitors were 2-0 up with 20 minutes to play, with goals from Andrew Johnson and Ryan Donaldson giving them a strong lead.

York weren’t beaten however, with Mitch Hancox scoring twice in eight minutes to set up a grandstand finish. 

Matty Brown’s winner - with one minute left on the clock - was enough to take the two-time winners into the last eight. 

Bromley needed penalties to get past ten-men Tonbridge Angels.

The game was still goalless when Harry Hudson received his marching orders, with Palace Francis opening the scoring for Bromley.

Joe Turner forced the game to spot kicks with one minute to play.  Bromley won 3-2 on penalties.

Dagenham & Redbridge passed safely through to the quarter finals with a 2-0 victory over National League North Spennymoor Town.

Paul McCallum and Junior Morais were on target for the home side, who were Trophy runners up in 1997. 

Danny Newton’s early goal was enough to put Solihull Moors into the last eight at the expense of Stourbridge

The striker hit his goal after just seven minutes, and moved his side into the quarter finals for the first time. 

Follow us on Twitter