stockport woking

Photo by Mike Petch

Ten-man Stockport County moved six points clear at the top of the National League after a 1-0 victory over Woking at Edgeley Park.

By Steven Oldham 

Hatters dig deep to win again 

Ash Palmer’s header 20 minutes from time wrapped up another three points for Dave Challinor’s side - who are now unbeaten in 14 matches. 

The win - combined with defeats for the two other sides in the top three - sees The Hatters build their lead at the head of the division. 

Liam Hogan received a straight red ten minutes into the second half for foul and abusive language. 

Woking have now lost four of their last five matches. 

Chesterfield lose five-goal thriller 

Chesterfield fell to a first home defeat of the season after losing 3-2 to Solihull Moors. 

The Spireites had led at half time, with Alex Whittle and Akwasi Asante giving them a 2-0 lead within 20 minutes.

Curtis Weston’s straight red card two minutes later changed the tone of the game, and James Clarke was able to pull one back before half-time.

Further goals from Callum Maycock and Harry Boyes turned the game on it’s head, and Solihull picked up a fourth win in five. 

Paul Cook’s side hold a game in hand over leaders Stockport.

First loss since October for Boreham Wood 

Boreham Wood’s long unbeaten run has finally come to an end after a 2-0 loss to Maidenhead United in the late kickoff.

Unbeaten since October, Wood were undone by a Maidenhead side who have made a habit of surprising the frontrunners in recent weeks.

A goal in either half from Josh Kelly and Nathan Blissett was enough to give Maidenhead victory and keep them nine points clear of the dropzone. 

Luke Garrard’s side have games in hand on both sides above them, partly due to their FA Cup exploits. 



Magpies too good for Eastleigh 

Notts County beat Eastleigh 2-0 and had the game wrapped up before the half time whistle. 

Cal Roberts and Kyle Wootton were on target for the home side, who remain just outside the playoffs.

Shot-shy Eastleigh’s winless run has now stretched to eight games - in which they have failed to score seven times. 

Wrexham leave it late to win

Wrexham picked up a first win in three, winning 2-1 at Wealdstone - scoring twice in the final minutes of the game. 

Rhys Browne’s second half penalty set Wealdstone on the path to a welcome three points, but Wrexham had other ideas.

Phil Parkinson’s side pulled level on 88 minutes through Jordan Davies. Reece Hall-Johnson nabbed the winner in the last minute of the game.

The win keeps Wrexham in the top seven, and hands Wealdstone a first defeat in three. 

All the other NLS action 

The only other game to survive Storm Eunice’s impact saw Torquay United and Barnet share the spoils in a 2-2 draw. 

Connor Lemonheigh-Evans’ first half brace had put the home side in command, but The Bees were able to rally in the second half. 

Adam Marriott’s goal started the fightback, with Ephron Mason-Clark levelling the game on the hour mark. 

The draw does little for either side, with Torquay eight points off the playoffs. Barnet were unable to capitalise on the three sides above them all losing. 

All the other games in the division were postponed, including the Friday night game between Southend United and Grimsby Town. 

Follow us on Twitter