Curzon Ashton left it late against Chester, with crucial wins for Gateshead and Kidderminster Harriers in the race for promotion during a busy day of National League North action.

By Amos Murphy

Credit: Curzon Ashton / Biddle of Nowhere Photography

Late drama as the Nash strike in added time

A Tom Peers strike in added time secured all three points for Curzon Ashton, as they edged out a seven-goal thriller against Chester.

Racing to a two-goal lead through Alex Curran’s first-half brace, Okera Simmonds had halved the deficit for Chester, before Peers’ first of the afternoon restored Curzon’s bumper advantage.

George Waring and Kevin Roberts looked as if they’d stolen a point for the visitors late on, only for Peers to pop up in the 92nd minute to secure the win.

Five-star Telford dismiss Darlington with ease

With time running out for relegation-threatened AFC Telford to salvage their season, the Bucks blew away a disappointing Darlington side, triumphing 5-0 in front of a jubilant home crowd.

Brendon Daniels netted from the spot to give Telford a first-half lead, before Kai Williams netted a second after the break, with a Mace Goodridge brace firing the hosts into an unassailable lead.

Things went from bad to worse for Darlington late on, with Josef Wheatley being sent off for the away side, only for salt to be rubbed in the wounds when Williams scored his second of the match in added time.

Gateshead stay top with gutsy win

A gutsy Gateshead performance gave the North East outfit three points over Leamington, as the 3-1 triumph keeps them top of the National League North.

Paul Blackett fired the hosts in front just before the break, but his strike was cancelled out by Junior English almost immediately after the restart.

In need of a spark, Macaulay Langstaff netted the eventual winner from the spot, before adding a second of the afternoon six minutes from time.

Fylde hold on against 10 man Guiseley

AFC Fylde were able to hang on against relegation candidate Guiseley, who had to play much of the second half with 10 men.

Goals from Ben Tollitt and Daniel Whitehead saw Fylde race to a seemingly comfortable 2-0 lead, which was cut in half by Thierry Latty-Fairweather’s effort midway through the first half.

Any hopes of a Guiseley comeback were slashed when Andrew Hollins was sent off for a second bookable offence in the second period, leaving the visitors a less-than-comfortable two points above the drop zone.

Kiddy keep chase with statement win

Kidderminster Harriers kept in touch with the National League North leaders, brushing aside York City with a comfortable 3-0 win.

Amari Morgan-Smith and Omari Sterling-James netted in the opening 45 minutes for Kidderminster, before Sam Austin sealed the deal with a third in the second half.

The result leaves Kidderminster fourth, but Russell Penn’s side boasts two games in hand over the top two due to their involvement in the FA Cup.

Bradford pick up crucial win over wounded Kettering

Bradford Park Avenue put some daylight between themselves and the relegation zone with a crucial victory over Kettering Town.

With preparations for Kettering being rocked by the news Paul Cox had left the club late last night, it was perhaps no surprise to see Simon Richman fire Bradford in front early on.

Red cards for Bradford pair Gianluca Havern and Ryan Toulson handed Kettering a route back into the match, which Lamine Kaba Sherif took with both hands, netting the equaliser three minutes from time – it wouldn’t be enough for Kettering, as Nicky Clee scored the winner in added time.

Hereford sink Farsley with late flurry

A dominant Hereford made it back to back victories for the first time since November, sinking Farsley Celtic 4-0 to move back into the playoff picture.

Ryan McLean opened the scoring after 29 minutes for Hereford, before Tom Owen-Evans secured the three points midway through the second half.

Momodou Touray gave Hereford a third in added time, before Miles Storey made it four just one minute later, capping off a resounding victory for the Bulls.

Elsewhere in the National League North

Daniel Maguire scored the only goal of the game for Blyth Spartans 10 minutes from time, as they pulled clear of the relegation scrap with a 1-0 win over Alfreton Town.

Connor Woods was on target for Southport as they saw off Gloucester City 1-0, with Kevin Dawson being shown a red card late on.

James Hanson’s strike cancelled out Dan Taylor’s opener for Spennymoor Town, as Boston United came from behind to take a point.

Whilst in the afternoon’s only goalless draw, Chorley were held away to promotion-chasing Brackley Town.

Follow us on Twitter