femi billericay

Photo by Nicky Hayes

Maidstone United moved to within three points of the top of the National League South on Tuesday with a 4-0 victory over fading Ebbsfleet United.

By Steven Oldham 

Kutrieb sees red as Ebbsfleet flop again 

Maidstone’s second half performance was too good for their promotion rivals, who were thrashed 5-1 at leaders Dorking Wanderers on Saturday.  

Fleet’s Sefa Kahraman was sent off for the second time in three days, with Stones goalkeeper Tom Hadler given a straight red for the same incident. 

Visiting manager Dennis Kutrieb received the third red card of the game late on as tempers boiled over. 

Hakan Hayrettin’s side were a goal up after just three minutes thanks to Joan Luque. They carried this lead to the break before ramping it up in the second half. 

Second half goals from George Fowler and Sam Corne (2) wrapped up three points for the home side, who are now unbeaten in ten league games. 

Fleet have fallen to fourth in the table, having come up short in two games that could prove pivotal in the title race come the end of the season. 

Strugglers Billericay and Braintree pegged back 

The division’s bottom two clubs picked up a point apiece to retain the status quo - but it could have been much better for both.

Billericay Town drew 1-1 at Slough, while Braintree Town’s game with Welling United ended all square at 2-2. 

Both led 1-0 at the break - Billericay through Femi Akinwande, with Matt Johnson on target for Braintree.

The Iron went further ahead two minutes into the second half with a Kyran Clements goal. 

Dipo Akinyemi started the comeback for Peter Taylor’s side, and Aaron Barnes secured a point with 15 minutes left on the clock. 

Josh Jackman’s late equaliser for Slough - with three minutes left - put pay to Billericay’s hopes of victory.

The pair remain six points behind the closest team, which is now Tonbridge Angels.



Beavers back to winning ways 

Hampton & Richmond Borough produced one of the performances of the night after beating Bath City 4-0. 

The Beavers scored twice in both halves to take a first win in four.

Dean Inman’s brace, and a goal each for Tyrell Miller-Rodney and Zach Robinson saw the points stay with the home side. 

All the rest of the NLS action 

Chippenham Town kept themselves involved in the playoffs conversation with a 3-1 win over St Albans City.

Alefe Santos scored twice and Jordan Young also got on to the scoresheet.  NLS top scorer Shaun Jeffers hit his 19th of the season in consolation.

Hemel Hempstead Town moved into the top ten with a 1-0 victory over Hungerford Town.

Charlee Hughes was on target again to wrap up the points. 

It’s just one win in six now for Dulwich Hamlet after they were held to a 1-1 draw by the visiting Eastbourne Borough.

Charley Kendall had put the visitors ahead after a goalless first half, but Ibra Sekajja netted for the second game in a row to save a point. 

Dartford and Concord Rangers played out a goalless draw. 

Follow us on Twitter