5Dimes review: Is it scam? Is it legal? Warning: Blacklisted
All You Need to Know About the 5Dimes Sign Up Bonus
In this 5Dimes review, we will analyse the veteran operator in detail, starting with a few of the 5Dimes bonus offers and 5Dimes promotions currently available.
However, you should know that UK customers aren’t accepted, so unless you’re an international player this 5Dimes review is purely hypothetical. So be sure to check out the 888Sport bonus if you are looking for a superior betting promo!
The 5Dimes brand was founded in San José, Costa Rica in 1996, making it one of the oldest online gaming websites in the offshore betting industry. The site’s casino was actually established first, with its sportsbook being launched two years later in 1998. 5Dimes has a few sister sites – ChineseBookie, IslandCasino, SportBet and VietBet – all of which have the same odds and support staff.
Although far from the perfect operator on the market (despite its self-proclaimed title of ‘the gold standard in online gambling’), the site offers as many as five separate sportsbooks and seven casinos; in addition, there is a racebook, poker room, bingo hall and lottery available.
5Dimes: Pros & Cons
- Huge amount of betting markets
- Very fast withdrawal times
- Bitcoin accepted
- Access restricted in the UK
- May remove reduced juice markets if you’re a profitable bettor
As we’ve said, in the first part of this 5Dimes review we will briefly touch upon the 5Dimes bonus offers and free bets available at the present time. As there are so many 5Dimes promotions to choose from, we will only focus on the reward options for new accounts. These are as follows:
- Reduced Juice Rewards: The main 5Dimes promotion offers reduced juice options on up to 14 sports and special events. (Reduced juice options are generally posted on the day of the event.)
- Free-Play & Lotto Rewards: This 5Dimes bonus gives you up to $520 in free play rewards to use in the sportsbook OR 100% reward on your Lotto reward balance; there are also reload rewards.
- Cash Back Rewards: Get up to 20% cashback reward PLUS an extra 10% cashback reward with this 5Dimes promotion.
- 30% Super Saver Reward: With this 5Dimes bonus you get -107 style pricing plus expanded parlay payouts.
- Point Mover Special Reward Program: Pay less to move the lines in your favour if you choose this 5Dimes promotion.
- Casino Rebate Rewards Program: You will receive up to 21% rebate on your overall losses with this 5Dimes bonus.
- On the House Reward Program: Select this 5Dimes promotion and get your 8th and 9th deposits on the house.
- Free Payout Rewards Program: A 5Dimes bonus that lets you withdraw winnings without fees.
As part of the 5Dimes sign up bonus, you can only take advantage of one of these reward plans, and each new account is defaulted to the Reduced Juice promotion – which is by far the most beneficial. If you’d prefer any of the other 5Dimes bonus offers, you must contact customer service via the site’s live help feature to check your eligibility on switching 5Dimes promotions. Full details can be found on the website. To discover how other operators are handling their bonuses, why not start with our Karamba ratings?
Although there are many to choose from, these 5Dimes promotions and 5Dimes bonus offers aren’t exactly the best on the market. For superior deposit offers, check our BetClic review or MyBookie reviews.
5Dimes’ website design is one of its weakest elements, as both the interface and software are severely outdated. Every aspect, from the advertisements to the navigation bar, is basic to the point of looking cheap. It actually feels as if the site hasn’t been updated since its inception more than two decades ago. Also, the number of different sections does make the site feel somewhat cluttered.
There is no 5Dimes mobile app, but you can access the website via the mobile browser. This mobile site has the same aesthetic and functional flaws, plus you may find yourself pinch-zooming in and out often.
Overall this 5Dimes review concludes that the 5Dimes desktop and mobile sites are serviceable, but we don’t consider ‘serviceable’ to be an acceptable condition in this day and age.
Here’s a breakdown of the most common deposit options:
- Credit/Debit Cards (Visa is accepted but not Mastercard): The minimum deposit limit is $50 per transaction; there is no official maximum deposit, as you can use the live help function to arrange higher payments. Although technically free, international fees will be applied by Visa.
- Bitcoin: There are no fees on deposits between $25 and $10,000, though deposits below $25 are subject to a 5% surcharge. Also, there is a maximum monthly deposit limit of $50,000. All deposits are converted to USD, yet unlike debit card deposits, no foreign exchange rates apply.
5Dimes also offers two unique deposit methods – ‘sportsbook transfer’ and ‘account to account’. The former allows you to transfer funds from other participating online sportsbooks while the latter allows 5Dimes users to exchange funds between themselves. There are no fees for either option.
As for the accepted withdrawal options, they are as follows:
- Bitcoin: The limits are $50 to $10,000 unless you exclusively deposit using Bitcoin – then there’s no withdrawal limit. There are also no withdrawal fees.
- Bank Wire: The limits are $1000 to $9500. Withdrawal times are 4-6 days. Fees are $80, plus bank charges.
- Cashier Check: The maximum limit is $7500. Checks take 24-48 hours to process, meaning they can take up to 10 business days to arrive. You can request one check every 7 days. Fees are $40, $60 or $80, depending on the amount – though you can receive a free check withdrawal every 30 days if requested by 1pm on Monday.
Our 5Dimes review will now go into detail about the various customer support options available on this online betting site. Yet before that, it’s worth noting that you can find a very detailed help center, which contains many of the questions you may have. Therefore it’s always worth taking a look at this as a first step, as you may be able to solve any minor issue yourself.
For those of you who are unable to find the answer you’re looking for in the help center, or if you’d simply prefer to speak to a trained representative, 5Dimes offers all three forms of support: email, telephone and a live help function. This is a big plus, as not every operator has phone support available. In fact, there are as many as 9 customer service phone numbers on display on 5Dimes’ home page, including numbers dedicated to ‘New Accounts’, ‘Sports Wagering’ and ‘Horse Wagering’.
In terms of the live help feature, a representative will usually respond within minutes, though there have been a lot of complaints about testy and rude responses. Altogether, reports regarding 5Dimes’ customer support have been mixed, but the general consensus is above average. If you require an excellent customer support staff, be sure to read our Intertops review or Unibet rating.
One thing that sets 5Dimes’ customer support apart from its competitors is that a four-digit PIN is required when you contact the support staff via live help or call, giving your account an extra layer of security – which brings us nicely onto the next section.
As you might have already seen in our Pots of Luck review and Mecca Bingo review, we take licensing and security very seriously in our reviews. The next part of our 5Dimes review is arguably the most important, as we will be discussing the operator’s licensing and security, and consequently whether or not 5Dimes is a trustworthy gaming site.
5Dimes is licensed and regulated in Costa Rica. This in itself doesn’t necessarily prove that 5Dimes is reputable, as there is no central governing body in Costa Rica to oversee customer issues or ensure that gambling companies are behaving justly. It’s safe to say this doesn’t exactly instil us with confidence.
There have also been reports of disreputable dealings in the past, including one instance of $32,000 being withheld from a customer months after the site wrongly paid the customer just $3,990 due to incorrect odds (which the customer actually queried with multiple representatives at the time). There was also a confirmed money laundering scheme in 2016, where the site incentivised players to send Amazon gift cards as payments. Although each of these instances was a few years ago, it proves that 5Dimes has the capacity for shady business.
On the other hand, it is important to take into account that 5Dimes has been operational for more than 20 years; and despite the past problems, most of the recent reviews you can find online will back 5Dimes as a reputable operator. Also, the website has SSL encryption, being certified by COMODO RSA Certification Authority.
To compare this to the licensing and security of other top providers, visit our Is Grosvenor reliable? and Is 21.co.uk reliable? guides.
Before this 5Dimes review moves on to the detailed accounts of the specific products that the online gaming website has to offer, we will briefly discuss any 5Dimes bonus offers and rewards programs aimed at existing customers.
Despite the fact that there is no specific loyalty program per se, there are many 5Dimes promotions for existing customers to make the most of, as well as cashback offers and other rewards programs. We briefly touched upon a number of these before, so in this section, we’ll focus on the further 5Dimes bonus offers and 5Dimes promotions listed on the site’s rewards and promotions page, under the heading ‘More Benefits & Rewards’. The most enticing of these 5Dimes promotions and 5Dimes bonus offers are:
- Betting Contest: Build the longest winning streak of the month to win the Betting Contest Monthly Prize with this 5Dimes bonus – 25 consecutive correct selections could bag you $5000.
- Mad Bonus Casino Promotion: A 5Dimes promotion that offers up to 100% match bonus on deposits of $100 to $250 (on eligible accounts).
- Grand Casino Double Free Spins Reward: For a limited time only, eligible accounts can use this 5Dimes bonus to receive a double free spins reward on deposits of $50 up to $500, which can be used on the Spirit of the Inca slot game.
- Vegas Live Dealer Monthly Leaderboard: With this 5Dimes promotion, the top 3 on the Vegas Live Dealer American Blackjack monthly leaderboard win $300, $150 & $50, respectively.
5Dimes undoubtedly has one of the most extensive selections in the industry when it comes to betting options. Furthermore, this online betting website is not only the largest site to offer reduced juice in the US market (meaning it has some of the most competitive odds available), it is also widely known for its 97%+ average payout on US sports, its superior withdrawal speeds, and its sheer number of 5Dimes promotions and 5Dimes bonus offers.
However, the operator’s less than reputable past, coupled with the rude customer support staff that is shared across many sister sites – plus the fact that UK players don’t have access – means this 5Dimes review is forced to blacklist 5Dimes at the current time. For other blacklisted operators, read our GTBets review and Bodog reviews.